Welcome to Romsey Local History Society
We are also known as LTVAS Group
We are the amateur local historians and archaeologists for Romsey and district (in Hampshire)
Because of a burst water main, our headquarters has been flooded. We are unlikely to be able to help researchers use our archives before September. See Flood for details.
Our programme of talks and public meetings continues normally. See Our Programme.
The current mystery pictures are four of Romsey's Fire Brigade in the 1940s and 1950s. Can you help with their names? See Mystery Pictures
If you want to walk round East Tytherley on Monday 13th May, meet at the Star Inn at 6.30 p.m. We shall include St Peter's Church in our ramble. If you want to join us at the church, you can drive straight there. The walkers will get there soon after 7 p.m.
Our Aims are:
to discover, research, record and publicise historical and archæological material relevant to the past of Romsey, Nursling, Wellow and nearby places. The Group collects, conserves, stores and periodically exhibits documents, photographs and artefacts. We also publish books about Romsey.
Our Activities include:
• At least 25 open meetings each year – free to members (See Our Programme)
• Distribution of a regular newsletter to members (See Join us)
• Twice weekly workshops for active research (See Our Workshops)
• Support for Friends of Botley Road cemetery (See Botley Road Cemetery)
• Occasional exhibitions and courses (See Our Programme)
• Guided walks in and around Romsey (See Our Programme)
• Assistance to schools and educational projects
• Talks and presentations to other groups (See Walks and Talks)
• Liaison and co-operation with local organisations
Depositing archival material at the Hampshire Record Office
LTVAS Group is short for Lower Test Valley Archaeological Study Group
LTVAS Group is a registered charity, number 271293
Site revised 30 April 2013