Botley Road Cemetery - Romsey   

Nature Study at the Cemetery

Because the cemetery has been free of chemicals for many years, it has a fine collection of fungi that fruit throughout the summer and autumn. It is also home to many slow worms. Because of the terrain and the frequent cutting of the grass it is not noted for its wild flowers.  MORE...

 

Trees in the Cemetery

Before the land was bought for the cemetery in 1856, it was used for rough grazing and seems to have been without trees. The Burial Board who administered the cemetery, planted trees across the area. Most of the trees are evergreens as the Victorians considered them suitable for cemeteries. MORE...

 

QUIZ - Things to look for in Botley Road Cemetery

A brief excuse to explore the older part of Romsey's Botley Road cemetery.

Look at the entrance lodge. What colour bricks are used? What shape are the chimneys?

Find William and Clara Brown’s grave (near the marker C.) What was William Brown’s job? Where do you think he lived? MORE...

 

Answers to Quiz 

Here are the answers and comments to questions raised in 'Explore Botley Road Cemetery'  MORE...

Non-conformist Italianate Chapel, Romsey Cemetery

 

Visit Botley Road Cemetery

 

This was the burial place for Romsey from 1856 until it closed in 1983, although a few people still have reserved rights to be buried there. Most Romsey burials now take place in Woodley Cemetery in Braishfield Road.

 

Originally the Botley Road Cemetery was about half the size it is today. Then in 1904 more land was purchased and the cemetery was extended eastwards to give its present area.

 

Two chapels were built within the cemetery in 1856. One was for Anglicans, which is marked by a steeple and is still a consecrated building. The other was for non-Conformists (or Dissidents), of Italianate design, but it has long ceased to be used for services.  This chapel has had a mezzanine floor inserted which now forms a pleasant meeting room. The Victorians also provided a lodge next to the main entrance for the caretaker to live and they surrounded the whole cemetery with a decorative brick and tile wall.

 

The cemetery is managed by Test Valley Borough Council as a 'lawn' cemetery with a wildlife area in the lower parts of the site and there are a number of 'specimen' trees throughout the grounds.

 

The burials within the cemetery include the bodies of many well-known Romsonians and has 19 official War Graves. Amongst those interred there are Thomas Strong who gave his name to Strong's Brewery. The cemetery also contains the remains of Evelyn and then Wilfrid Ashley, the grandfather and father of Lady Edwina Mountbatten.

 

Romsey Local History Society organises occasional public events, some historical and some relating to the wildlife of the area to which visitors are always welcome.  They are advertised on this website and on the noticeboard at the cemetery. The cemetery is open to the public at all times.

 

Visitors to the cemetery will have seen the permanent markers showing which area of the cemetery is which. These have been a great help to people trying to find specific graves.  We are grateful to Viridor Landfill Fund who provided most of the money and to Cllr Mark Cooper's grant from his discretionary budget for the additional funding required.  IronArt of Romsey made the markers for us.

 

Below is an outline plan of the cemetery. 

Click here to view images of all sections or

 

'Click' on required section letter below to view and print 'pdf' version - 

 M 

 R 

 V(S) 

 T(S) 

 W(S) 

 X 

 S(E) 

 U 

 O 

 Q 

 N 

 P 

 B(N) 

 C 

 D 

 F 

 E 

 G 

 * Not to Scale

 Romsey Cemetery 

 Botley Road      

 H 

 I 

 K 

 There are no sections

"J", "Y" or "Z" 

 L(S) 

 L(N) 

 A(N)  

 S(W) 

 T(N) 

 V(N) 

 Sections 

Grave Area Marker
Grave Area Marker

Botley Road Cemetery, Romsey

Romsey Cemetery
Romsey Cemetery

Botley Road Cemetery - photo by Romsey School pupil.

Botley Road Cemetery.
Botley Road Cemetery.

slow-worms found by local school students

Botley Road Cemetery
Botley Road Cemetery

aerial photo from google maps